Friday, May 8, 2015

Your Best Resource

As a new teacher, your first year can be very overwhelming. Trying to figure out what to teach, what kind of discipline plan you need, how to reach all of your students, and even how to decorate your classroom can be a lot to handle. Then of course, you also have to know the district and campus rules and dress code. 

While all of these things are items that need to be addressed, you don't have to do it alone. Your best resource are the teachers around you. After all, they have faced the same challenges you face now, and they're still rocking it. I know I would have been lost without my mentor Courtney. She has been my rock this year, and anytime I have a problem or question, she's been there to help me out.

I also have spent quite a bit of time checking out other teacher's classrooms. Sometimes the simplest ideas just escape you, like a cup for spare pencils and erasers, or a hallway pass on a lanyard. Even using crates to separate notebooks from one class to another. All of these ideas came from just observing how other teachers have organized their classrooms. 

Another idea that I picked up is having a tardy book by the door for students to sign when they come into class late. This helps by keeping you from having to stop class to discuss why a student is late. 

I have gotten so many ideas this year from observing and asking other teachers. They really are the best resource you have, so don't be afraid to ask for help and advice. I can tell you from experience that anyone you ask will be more than happy to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment