Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Time Management is Number One

As a new teacher this year, I can remember feeling pretty lost at the beginning of the year, which for me was actually October. I got hired after the year had already started, so I came in about 6 weeks after all the kids. After spending 7 years in the television broadcast industry, it was a real shock to move to education. 

I spent the first half of the year just figuring out what I was doing, how to make an effective lesson plan, and battling classroom management woes. Not to mention keeping up with grades, and constantly taking work home so I would have lesson plans done. 

Now, almost at the end of my first year, it is so much easier. I can tell you that a big part of my problem the first semester was time management. My conference period and lunch time have become my best friends. These are my quiet times when I can get lesson plans worked on and my teaching webpage updated. I can also grade assignments and post the grades for the kids and parents to see. Now, I hardly have to take work home except for special projects because I am able to get most of the tasks completed during the school day or for the half-hour to an hour after school.

On top of all that, I also have been able to take on other responsibilities as well, such as managing the school web site. All of this has been accomplished by managing my time well.

The best advice I can give to a new teacher, or any teacher, is to try not to get overwhelmed with everything you have to do. Take a deep breath, and plan out your day. You'll be surprised how much time you actually have when you do this. Effective time management can make your life so much easier, so do yourself a favor and give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment